Removal of Wisdom Teeth – Pros and Cons
For a lot of patient, the removal of wisdom teeth is an important question. Your wisdom teeth may not be causing problems to day. However, issues with them could surface anytime. Therefore, it may be difficult to decide whether to have your wisdom teeth removed now in order to prevent possible dental problems later. Below are a number of issues to consider:
- It is seldom harmful to your overall health to have your wisdom teeth removed, but there are of course slight risks involved with any surgery.
- In the younger generation (late teens and early 20s), the wisdom teeth’s roots are not fully developed and the jaw bone is not as dense, so it is easier to remove the tooth. This means, the younger you are, the easier your recovery is likely to be.
- In your whole life, you may never have any problems with your wisdom teeth.
- The majority of the problems with wisdom teeth develop early on, between the ages of 15 and 25.
- An interesting fact is that if you are older than age 30, you have only a small risk of having problems with your wisdom teeth. Only few people older than 30 years old develop problems that require removal of their wisdom teeth.
- Check with dental insurance company since carriers don’t always cover this procedure.
600 Davis Street
Evanston, IL 60201